"Orthopedists perform average of 29 procedures per month - 10 statistics & facts about orthopedists" - Becker's Spine Review
By Megan Wood
Here are some interesting statistics and facts about orthopedists, based on the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons' 2014 Orthopaedic Surgeon Census.
1. Of orthopedists surveyed, 89.5 percent reported full-time employment, compared to 10.5 percent in part-time employment.
2. On average, orthopedists perform 29 procedures monthly.
3. Full-time orthopedists perform an average of 32 procedures per month, while part-time orthopedists perform about six procedures monthly.
4. Fifty-four percent of orthopedists are specialists, while 29.6 percent are general orthopedic surgeons with specialties and 19.6 percent are generalists.
5. A large chunk of orthopedists reported working in private practice, with 35 percent serving patients in an orthopedic group setting.
6. Sports medicine (15.8 percent), hand (10.8 percent) and total joint (10.4 percent) rank among the top practice areas.
7. AAOS membership encompasses 92.1 percent male orthopedists and 5 percent female orthopedists, with 2.9 percent not identifying gender.
8. The average age of a practicing orthopedist is 54.76 years.
9. The following represent states with the highest orthopedic surgeon density:
- New Hampshire
- South Dakota
10. These rank as the states with the lowest surgeon density:
- West Virginia